A new relatives room has opened at the Royal Bolton Hospital in memory of a teenager who died in a road accident.
David and Catherine Sharples, whose son Jonathan died in 2007, opened the room after raising more than £30,000 for charity with the help of his school friends.
The couple wanted to create the new space at the hospital after they had to be taken into a consultant’s room to hear the devastating news about their son, because the relatives’ room was being used.
Jonathan Sharples and Daniel Harrison were killed when the Ford Ka they were travelling in struck a tree in Old Kiln Lane, Heaton. The Bolton School pupils were just 17 years old.
Mrs Sharples, 47, said: “They didn’t have anywhere else to take us at the time. We just think that if it happens to someone else, then this room could save someone from having to go through what we went through.
“We feel as though we are contributing something so that if somebody has to use the room, then at least it will be in a nicer, more peaceful environment.
“I think Jonathan would be proud; proud of us and proud of his friends.”
The new space has been called The Sharples Room and contains a painting of Bolton School donated by the family.
The money they have raised will also pay for a defibrillator at the hospital and the rest has been split between a variety of charities including Children’s Leukaemia, Brake Care Trust, Whizz Kids, Wishing on a Star and Sports Relief.