What's Happening in Dartford blog

Schoolboy saves family from fire

A brave 12-year-old has been hailed a hero after his quick-thinking actions saved his mum and disabled brother from a house fire.

Robert Noubime was at his flat in Nursery Close, Dartford, watching television when he smelt burning. He went to investigate and found a fire had started in his mother’s bedroom.

He quickly called his mother Jospehene, 56, and then set off the fire alarm. Robert and his mother then got Robert’s 22-year-old disabled brother, Jean-Paul Midera, into his shower chair, covered him with duvets and wheeled him out into the garden.

Robert said: “I looked in the room and saw lots of black smoke. I felt quite scared, but I closed the door straight away like I’d been taught at school.

“I was scared for my brother as he didn’t know what was going on. But it’s my family, so I just got on and did it.”

Dartford fire crew manager Kevin Ellliott praised Robert for his brave actions during the blaze.

He added: “This young boy played a huge part in assisting us, calmly directing us to the exact location of the fire.

“There is no doubt that his actions not only saved his family from a potentially disastrous situation but also prevented the fire spreading to other parts of the house.

“All of his steps were learnt following a school fire safety visit and I cannot stress enough the importance of encouraging all parents to spend a few minutes talking to their children about what to do in the event of a fire.”

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *