Jack Rees, a schoolboy from Sutton Coldfield, proved himself a hero when his actions saved the lives of his family and neighbours when there was a serious chimney blaze at his home.
11 year old Jack raised the alarm and alerted his neighbours who were unaware of the fire. His heroic actions meant that his parents could call the fire brigade and save an elderly couple who were in danger of being seriously hurt.
Jack’s mum Angela said that without her son’s courage the outcome of the blaze could have been very different.
“If Jack hadn’t have acted in the way he did, our home and the house next door would have been an inferno,” she said.
Jack got out of bed at 2am because he smelt smoke and he immediately raised the alarm when he saw the smoke filled day. He then woke up his parents, his younger sister Tara and the family dogs, before rushing to his neighbours’ houses to tell them what was happening.
“We were kicking the door and shouting for them to wake up,” said Mrs Rees.
Jack’s father John was treated for second degree burns to his fingers after he attempted to put out the blaze before the firefighters arrived.
Firefighter Antony Worthington said: “Jack did brilliantly. The Watch Commander said he’d done well and listened to his fire safety advice. He should be proud of what he’s done. If it wasn’t for him it would have been a lot worse.”
Mrs Rees now hopes that her son will be considered for a bravery award: “The fire crews said he was a hero, but his actions did not surprise me because he is such a sensible lad. However, it has affected him because it was a very traumatic situation for a young boy. He has been very quiet since it happened and I think it would boost his confidence tremendously if he was nominated for some sort of award to recognise his bravery.”